Apply for Student Disability Services

To receive disability-related accommodations and services, please:

The documentation submitted to our office should be comprehensive and current according to the guidelines for documentation. Documentation should include the following:

  • The evaluator’s name, address, telephone number(in the event our department needs to contact the evaluator), and professional credential relevant to the diagnosis(i.e. MD, Ph.D. LSSP, etc).
  • A clear diagnostic statement identifying the disability, including severity level.
  • A description of the diagnostic methodology used. Quality documentation includes a description of the diagnostic criteria, evaluation methods, procedures, tests and dates of administration, and a clinical narrative, observation, and specific test results.
  • A description of the student's current functional limitations or symptoms as they are directly related to the diagnostic statement, and an explanation of why the student needs accommodations.
  • A description of the expected progression or stability of the disability.
  • A description of current and past accommodations, services and/or medications.
  • If provided, any recommendations for accommodations, adaptive devices, assistive services, compensatory strategies and/or collateral support services included must be supported by the documentation.
  • Depending on the nature of the disability, documentation may need to be current, within 1-5 years.
  • The documentation must be on letterhead, typed, dated and signed.

The professional making the diagnosis of a disability should be an appropriately trained evaluator, such as a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist or educational diagnostician. For example, an audiologist would diagnose a hearing impairment; a psychiatrist, psychologist or clinical social worker would diagnose a psychological disability. Documentation from a family member or family friend is not acceptable.

Student Disability Services provides guidelines for documentation. If you have any questions about the documentation that is requested, please feel free to contact us at 903.886.5835.

We reserve the right to request additional information or evaluation. However, information regarding resources to use in obtaining an evaluation is available from our office.

We serve as the repository for medical documentation of disabilities. Documentation submitted to us is confidential and used solely for the purpose of assisting students in identifying and securing accommodations and services to support their full participation at A&M-Commerce.

Request Accommodation Letters

Request your accommodation letters from Student Disability Services at the beginning of each semester.

  • Accommodations are provided on an individual basis as needs arise.
  • Examples of accommodations include extended testing time, interpreters, note-taking, reader services, scribe services, audiobooks and other adaptive technology.
  • Student Disability Services also supports students with issues and situations related to advocacy, accessibility and on-campus housing.

Student Disability Services is a resource for information, including but not limited to, tutoring services, study skills and time management, community resources, disability awareness and other university services.


The mission of Student Disability Services is to facilitate accessibility by providing services, accommodations and technology for A&M-Commerce students with disabilities.

Atypical Ambassadors

Student Disability Services is entering its fourth year of a pilot project for students with Autism called the Atypical Ambassadors. The mission of the Atypical Ambassador project is to create an inclusive and welcoming environment at A&M-Commerce for selected Atypical Ambassadors where various campus stakeholders will provide mentorship, workshops and resources to improve outcomes for students with Autism and increase awareness regarding Autism within the A&M-Commerce community.

For more information, contact Heaven Dunn at [email protected].

Available Presentations

Student Disability Services offers several presentations designed to educate faculty and staff about disability-related topics. Our team will deliver the presentation in your office or department at a time that is convenient for you. Please select from the available presentations below and email Carrie Williams to schedule.

Participants will learn about the appropriate language regarding individuals with disabilities.

Participants will gain an overview of the purpose of Student Disability Services and the services that are provided for students with disabilities at A&M-Commerce.

Participants will learn about various disabilities and how to appropriately interact with individuals with disabilities.

Meet our Staff

Off-Site Locations

If you have questions about testing accommodations at one of the off-site locations, contact the appropriate person from the list below.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are special housing accommodation requests that can be made?

Some special housing requests that can be made, based on application and documentation submitted, include but are not limited to:

  • Wheelchair accessible room
  • First-floor room
  • Strobe light (for hearing-impaired students)
  • Braille (for room numbers)
  • Bathtub or roll-in shower
  • Use of a service animal or emotional support animal
Do you find this helpful? Yes No

Does the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) apply to higher education?

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act is a law administered by the Office of Special Education Programs in the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services in the U.S. Department of Education. This law does not apply to higher education.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

How do I apply with Student Disability Services?

Please see How to Register for instructions.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

I do not have documentation. Can I still apply with SDS?

Yes, a case manager will walk you through the process on how to obtain documentation.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

I am deaf/hoh. Can I receive CART or interpreting services?

Yes, you can receive these services. To avoid delays in services, students should inform SDS of their interpreting or CART needs at least two weeks in advance.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

How do I take exams with SDS?

Students must register five business days in advance to take exams/quizzes with SDS. Business days are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (holidays not included).

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

I am not receiving my accommodations. What should I do?

Please contact SDS to speak with your case manager.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

What will be listed on my accommodation letter?

Your accommodation letter will list the accommodations that you receive. Your diagnosis will not be listed.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

How do I inform my professors of my accommodations?

Students must request their accommodations EVERY semester. Please refer to How to Request Letters for instructions.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

Does a student have to inform A&M-Commerce that they have a disability?

A student with a disability does not have to disclose their disability to A&M-Commerce. Disclosure of a disability is voluntary. However, a student will not receive accommodations unless they disclose this information to the Office of Student Disability Services.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

What is the impact of the Americans with Disabilities Act on Higher Education of 1990?

The Americans with Disabilities Act on Higher Education of 1990 impacts the whole institution, including activities, facilities, programs and employment. The Americans with Disabilities Act requires higher education institutions to provide reasonable accommodations for students.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

Can parents speak with Student Disability Services regarding their child’s situation?

Students may choose to have information about their case discussed with their parents by signing a FERPA release form directly from our office. The release cannot be a blanket release for the student’s entire college career.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

What is the difference between the responsibilities of high schools and higher education institutions?

The responsibilities towards students with disabilities in institutions of higher education are very different from those of high schools. High schools are required, under IDEA, to identify the educational needs of students with disabilities and provide free and appropriate education.

This responsibility is not required of higher education institutions. Higher education institutions are required to provide appropriate and reasonable academic accommodations to ensure that a student with a disability is not discriminated against. The student is responsible for disclosing his or her disability to the institution and seeking accommodations.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

Can a parent request accommodations for their child?

All requests for accommodations must come directly from the student.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

Can a student’s personal attendant live in the residence hall?

A student’s personal attendant may live in the residence hall provided that the personal attendant is a student at A&M-Commerce. The university does not provide a personal attendant but can assist the student in finding one. A student needing a personal attendant should discuss this with the Department of Student Disability Services. SDS is not required to provide personal attendants.

Do you find this helpful? Yes No

Contact Us

  • P.O. Box 3011
  • Commerce, TX 75429-3011

Hours of Operation

Monday – Friday

8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Follow us on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter. Follow us on Instagram.
Navigate This Page